Communicating and contextualising new product development tools and methods for engineering students
* To make the design elements of undergraduate courses more attractive by showing how knowledge translates to real products
* To provide real life examples of the design process and products to students to help understand abstract engineering design principles
* To develop an easy to use web resource and model of implementation so that it can be adopted by other institutions
* To embed the web resource into modules in engineering and design departments
* To disseminate the web resource through RAEng, HESTEM and the Engineering and ADM Subject Centres to maximise uptake and impact
The outcome is an design online tool that provides a high level of information that is easily used by students, academic staff and practitioners. The functionality of CoLab tool is based on only three tabs: “Home”, ”Use Colab” and “Information”. In addition to these, the Home page also features a large button to “Get started with Colab”.
The full functionality of CoLab is presented on a single page which gives access to the tabs for “Design Stages”, “Design Information”, “Technical Information” and “Design Representations”. Clicking on these tabs gives access to the individual cards which allow linking to other cards that appear in the “% ” columns. One of the most significant features and achievements of the site is the taxonomy of design representations which allows immediate browsing of all 35 images under the headings of Sketches, Drawings, Models and Prototypes.
The CoLab website is available at www.colab.lboro.ac.uk
If you wish to know more about this project, please contact the Programme's Engineering team at HESTEM@raeng.org.uk with Reference Number 2010MAY_13.